5 Functional Strength Exercises You're Not Doing
1.)Turkish Get Up
Start from the ground with the weight straight out in front of you. Keep looking up at the weight throughout the exercise.
With the leg on the same side as the weight, drive up onto the opposite hip and use your free arm to assist you through the motion
Tuck the opposite foot under the hips (notice the twist of the trunk, not unlike a windmill. This is important, or the weight will fall forward)
Come up onto the opposite knee into a reverse lunge position
Reverse on the way down, still looking up at the weight *(intensify this exercise by using a barbell which forces more balance and core stabilization)
TRX Atomic Push Up 1. Starting Position: Place your feet securely into the foot cradles positioned directly under the anchor point. Apply downward pressure with the tops of your feet by pointing your toes. Lie flat on your stomach with your hands placed shoulder-width apart.
2. Upward Phase: Exhale and slowly press your body off the floor until your elbows are straight (plank position) Keep your head and spine aligned. Tuck your legs into your chest maintaining a neutral spinal position, then extend legs back to a plank position
3. Downward Phase: Bring your body back to plank position. Keeping the torso rigid, and head and spine aligned, inhale and slowly lower your body into a push-up.
*(intensify this exercise by using a Bosu ball in your hands or using two TRX)
Single Leg Pistol Squat
1. Raise one leg out in front of you and extend both arms to act as a counterbalance
2. Maintain a nuetral spinal position and push your hips back into flexion then flexing the knee as to lower yourself into a seated position parallel to the floor
3. Maintaining a flat foot with the active leg and drive your heel into the ground to press yourself back up and extend the knee and hip back into a standing position
*(intensify this exercise by using a bosu ball and/or adding resistance)
Single Leg Romanian Deadlift
1. Stand with feet straight and hip-width apart. 2. Lift chest, tuck chin and place hands on hips. 3. Squeeze glutes, balance on one leg (bent 5 degrees at knee) and lift other directly beside it. 4. Bend at the hips, raising the free leg back behind you and keeping it in alignment with your back 5. Return to start position.
Sandbag Clean (Shouldering)
1. Stand in front of a sandbag with your weight evenly distributed on both feet and knees slightly bent.
2. Keeping your back flat, bend at the hips and knees and reach down to grab the sandbag.
3. Keeping head up and back flat, explosively stand erect by pushing the ground away with your legs as you simultaneously pull / clean the sandbag up in front of your body and catch it at shoulder height.
4. Your knees should be bent to approximately a 1/4 squat position during the catch phase.
5. Lower the sandbag to the starting position.